The green light has been given to convert the old Courthouse in Ballyjamesduff into a community centre.
The local Community Council has been granted planning permission to renovate the building for use by people in the area.
The building, which was designed by Cavan architect Patrick Joseph Brady and built in 1927, has been derelict for a number of years.
The protected building is located on Stradone Street in the town and the Community Council will refurbish the building and build a small single story extension to house toilet facilities.
Conditional Planning Permission has been granted and all works must now be overseen by an accredited conservation architect.