« BackKerry win 4 in a row – Roscommon are defeated in the All Ireland final

Kerry are All-Ireland Minor B Hurling champions for a fourth time in a row.

They’ve beaten Stephen Glennons Roscommon by 6-17 to 1-8 in Limerick to claim the honours .

After an eventful start to the game Roscommon lead by 0-2 to 0-1 with points from Daniel Glynn from a free and a James Walker point from play.  Kerry had taken the lead with a John Buckley free and when full forward Fionan Mackessy struck to the net for a well worked goal they regained the lead 1-1 to 0-2 after eight minutes.

Two further points from Conway and Sheedy had Kerry 1-3 to 0-2 ahead after eleven minutes of action as Kerry were the more efficient team up front, Roscommon had hit five wide’s while Kerry only hit one in the same period.


Daniel then converted another free for the Connacht side to reduce the arrears as Roscommon continue their attempt to win their first All Ireland title since 1969, and with the Primrose and Blue enjoying the lion’s share of possession there were genuine cause for optimism for Roscommon supporters.

By the 17th minute Kerry had raced into a 1-6 to 0-3 lead with three quick fire point to leave them in control of proceedings.

Roscommon goalkeeper Kevin Kelly made some super saves in the first half to keep his side in the game, but despite his best efforts Kerry raced into a 1-8 to 0-3 lead, Shane Conway scoring the Kingdom’s eight point after twenty minutes.  Kerry had scored 1-4 from play at this stage compared to just a single point from play for Roscommon.

Kerry then score their second goal from Eric Leen and a quick point from Shane Connolly left it 2-9 to 0-3 before James Walker scored a badly needed point for Roscommon, but Connolly relied again for Kerry to leave it 2-10 to 0-4 with ten to go.

There was no let up from the Kerry forwards in the closing stages as Conway and Co were simply ruthless and  then Daniel Glynn with a free accounting for Roscommon’s fifth point of the contest, before Buckley the Kerry skipper raised a white flag on the stroke of half time. At the break: Kerry were 2-12 to 0-5 clear and looking good for the second half.

A Shane Conway goal 10 minutes into the second period had Kerry in front by
3-15 to 6 points.John Buckley was the next to goal for the Kingdom before Conway netted once more and it was 5-17 to 0-7 entering the final 6 minutes.

Conway had his hat trick of goals with 2 minutes remaining and Kerry won by 24 points in the end.