Eighteen cases of the deadly superbug CPE were recorded in Cavan General Hospital last year. The figures from the Health Protection and Surveillance Centre show there’s been an increase in the number of cases reported locally. CPE lives harmlessly in the gut but can be dangerous if it gets into the bloodstream – more than half of patients who develop infections with CPE die directly or indirectly as a result.
Cavan Hospital is among those to have been hit by the bug. The Surgical One ward was closed due to an outbreak last year. The HPSC shows 18 cases were recorded in Cavan last year, with a total of 63 cases reported across all hospitals in the RCSI group.
That’s a dramatic increase on 2017, when just 29 cases were reported across the group.
CPE was declared a public health emergency in 2017, with the €20 million set aside earlier this year to tackle the bug in Irish hospitals.