Cavan and Monaghan hoping to put Tyrone defeats behind them

Ahead of this weekends round 5 fixtures Both Cavan and Monaghan have both played Tyrone last time out and both were defeated.


Cavan faced them last weekend in their rescheduled fixture in Healy Park and they failed to build on a great first half as Tyrone scored ten unanswered points in the last 20 minutes to run out 7 points winners in Healy Park Omagh in their rescheduled Division 1 Allianz football league game this afternoon. The final score was Tyrone 0-19 Cavan 1-09.

Mattie McGleenans side went into the half time interval deservedly in the lead by 1-08 to 0-07. The breffini side got the opening two points before Tyrone then kicked three points to put them in the lead, Cavan equalised and they swapped scores before Gearoid McKiernan scored 1-01 in the closing stages of the half to give them the advantage. The Swanlinbar getting his goal after a great sweeping move from McVeety, Madden and OConnor. Martin Reilly impressed in the first half with three point from play for Cavan while McKiernan also rose to the fore scoring 1-04.

Tyrone swiftly came out of the traps in the second half and took the opening two scores before Conor Madden pointed for Cavan in the 42nd minute. It proved to be the last point for the breffini side and Tyrone finished the game with 10 points and they now head for the top of the table after four games.


The week previously Monaghans unbeaten run in Division one ended with a 4 point defeat to Tyrone in Healy Park by 0-14 to 0-10 The Farney army trailed by 0-09 to 0-02 at the break but played well in the second half to reduce the deficit. The feat made all the more remarkable by the fact they did so with 13 players after two players were red carded.

Tyrone raced into a 4 point lead and Monaghan got their first point of the encounter in the 24th minute through Jack McCarron.  Tyrones lead could have been great had Peter Harte converted a penalty in the opening ten minutes. McCarron struck his sides second point in the 31stminute to leave it 0-06 to 0-02 but Tyrone finished the half strongly and they had a 7 point advantage at half time.

The task got tougher at the start of the second half when Fintan Kelly received his second yellow card. Dessie Ward then had a goal chance saved.  Conor McManus got the opening point of the half in the 45th minute but soon after that Monaghans Dermot Malone got a straight red card. This didn’t deter Monaghans challenge.  The farney side scored next in the 43rd minute when Jack McCarron impressively scored from the sideline.  Darren McCurry and Rory Beggan swapped points to make it double scores at 0-10 to 0-05. Beggan then scored his second in a row on 50 minutes. 5 minutes later excitement built further when a Kieran Hughes point put just a goal between them.

Sean Cavanagh got a point from a free for the red hand county before McManus pegged them back to being just a goal ahead.  Kieran Hughes got his second of the evening followed by a point from Peter Harte in injury time a Jack McCarron free left Monaghan just needing a goal to tie proceedings but Sean Cavanagh showed his star power to point for Mickey Hartes side and see them leave Healy park with a four point win.

Sunday Sport on Northern Sound FM and the Northern Sound website will bring you the action from 2pm.