Clean-up of asbestos gets underway this morning following Old Erne Palais fire

The clean-up of asbestos following a fire at the Old Erne Palais building in Belturbet gets underway this morning.

This follows from an air quality survey of the local area that found low levels of asbestos fibres in the immediate vicinity.

A specialist contractor has been employed for the removal and disposal of asbestos from the Erne Palais and surrounding areas.

Gardai are currently investigating the fire, which was said to have caused extensive damage, and are treating it as arson.
The clean-up will be done in three phases, where the remaining asbestos sheeting will be removed from the building, then a clean up of the areas around the building – including private homes, and finally the removal of any asbestos from within the Palais building.

The HSE has issued an information leaflet saying air monitoring results were satisfactory but for anyone with concerns, or debris on their property to contact Cavan County Council for assistance.

The playground and public park in Belturbet will remain cordoned off as a precaution and are expected to reopen next week.

Cavan County Council statement: 26/09/18

On foot of a recent fire at Old Erne Palais, Belturbet, Co Cavan, Cavan County Council is alerting local residents of the presence of asbestos in the aforementioned premises. 

Cavan County Council has had air monitoring carried out in areas adjacent to the Erne Palais Ballroom. The purpose of the air monitoring was to check the ambient air for the presence of airborne asbestos. All air monitoring results are satisfactory.