Man jailed for failing to stop after fatal crash on his way to Cavan in 2016

A man has been jailed for 20 months for failing to stop after a fatal crash on his way to Cavan in 2016.

Anthony Corcoran of Lyons Street, Newcastle, Co. Dublin knocked Peter Maunde down on Januray 31st as he tried to cross a busy carriageway on the Naas Road.


The 39-year-old spoke to gardaí the next morning, after Corocran’s father called his local gardaí in County Cavan to inform them that his son had been involved in a car accident the previous day.

Corcoran told gardaí in a subsequent interview that his fiancee, his friend and his fiancee’s friend had been out socialising in Dublin City Centre that night and drinking, outlining that he had two beers and four whiskeys.

He said he had “a domestic disagreement” with his fiancee after they all the hotel they were staying in and she told both men to leave.

He and his friend drove back to Kingscourt separately.

He said his friend, who was driving ahead of him, rang en route to say that he had just seen a man crossing the barrier on the motorway.

Corcoran said it was after the phone call that he hit something and although he didn’t know what it was, he definitely did not think it was a person. He and his friend later stopped their cars in Navan and examined the damage to the front of his car.

Mr Maunde was pronounced dead at the scene by medics after his body had initially been mistaken for an animal by passing motorists.

Corcoran pleaded guilty to failure to remain at the scene with intent to escape civil or criminal liability.
A charge of dangerous driving causing the death was dropped by the State.

Judge Martin Nolan said the only explanation for not stopping is that he panicked and was conscious of the fact he’d been drinking.

He added that this is a good man with a conscience, but unfortunately on this particular night his conscience escaped him and he left the scene.

Anthony Corcoran was sentenced to 20 months imprisonment and disqualified from driving for three years.