Monaghan doctor wants the Government to subsidise GP care

A Monaghan doctor wants to see the Government subsidise GP care.

It comes following comments made by the Health Minister Simon Harris yesterday that he’s looking at reducing the cost of visiting the doctor, or having a number of free visits a year.  Currently 40 percent of the population has free GP care, leaving 60 percent paying up to 60 euro a visit.

Dr Illona Duffy from Monaghan says that there has be good work done in recent years in trying to make GP care more affordable for families, such as the under 6’s card and GP visit only cards.  However she says that while she believes Irish GP’s offer value for money, the cost can put some people off attending.