The Slieve Russell Hotel in Ballyconnell says that it is “with regret” that they must close temporarily due to an outbreak of the Winter Vomiting Bug.
The hotel has released a statement to Northern Sound News stating that the measure is “a proactive and precautionary measure due to the continuing widespread outbreak of the Norovirus”.
When guests of the hotel and members of staff reported symptoms of the virus, The Slieve Russel Hotel state that they informed the HSE and the Environmental Health Officers immediately.
They carried out testing which confirmed the presence of Norovirus, more commonly known as the winter vomiting bug.
The Slieve Russell has closed to allow a full deep-clean of all surfaces and furnishings and it will reopen as soon as possible.
PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SLIEVE RUSSELL HOTEL
20th December 2016
It is with regret that we wish to advise that the Slieve Russell Hotel is closing temporarily as a proactive and precautionary measure due to the continuing widespread outbreak of the “Norovirus” during recent weeks. There is presently a high incident of this infection in the community in Ireland and outbreaks have been noted in schools, residential care homes and hospitals throughout the country. Some of our guests who visited the hotel, as well as members of our staff, have reported symptoms of this Norovirus. We immediately notified the HSE and the Environmental Health Officers and, with their advice and support, we have taken a number of preventative actions over the past week to reduce any risks relating to this virus at our premises.
The health and safety of our staff, visitors and guests at the Slieve Russell Hotel is of paramount importance to us and we are taking every precaution to safeguard the health and wellbeing of all our patrons.
We feel it our responsibility, in conjunction with the HSE, to minimise the possibility of spread of further infection to all our staff and patrons. It is with deep regret that we have taken the decision to close the Hotel. The Hotel will reopen as soon as is possible.
Information on Norovirus for the General Public is available here.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
PRESS RELEASE FROM THE HSE
The Slieve Russell Hotel closed on 19th December 2016 due to an increased incidence of Norovirus infection among residents, staff and patrons of the hotel.
The hotel had notified HSE staff on 12th December that there had been a number of persons suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea illness in the hotel. Clinical testing had confirmed that this outbreak was caused by Norovirus infection. There is presently a high incidence of this infection in the community in Ireland and outbreaks have been noted in hospitals, residential care homes and schools throughout the country.
Hotel staff worked closely with HSE to implement the recommended measures and minimise the risk of further infections in the hotel. Despite this, further instances of transmission of the virus continued to occur. HSE Public Health and Environmental Health staff met with hotel management on 19th December and agreed that additional measures including a full deep-clean of all surfaces and furnishings in the hotel would be required. In order to achieve this, the hotel has closed. It will re-open as soon as all possible environmental sources of the virus have been disinfected.
The HSE and hotel management deeply regret the inconvenience this closure will cause to patrons of the Slieve Russell but consider this action as necessary to safeguard public health.
Information on Norovirus for the General Public is available at the following link http://www.hpsc.ie/A-Z/Gastroenteric/Norovirus/Factsheets/File,2621,en.pdf