Strong second half display leads Monaghan to comfortable victory

Two teams heading in different directions at Inniskeen this afternoon Monaghan join Dublin on 7 points after round five of the league and leave Roscommon pointless.

article by Daithi Boland

It was a comprehensive and controlled victory for the Farney men winning on a full time score of 2-17 to 1-13.

The first half was fast and furious and entertaining as they home side led 0-12 to 0-08.

Jack McCarron was very impressive who notched 1-06 for the seventy minutes, Conor McManus was also proving to be a handful for the Roscommon defence as well as Shane Carey and Dessie Ward who all contributed for Malachy O’Rourkes men in the opening thirty five minutes.

The Rossies had a poor start but found themselves back in the contest with Ciaran Murtagh being the main scoring threat while Conor Devaney and Enda Smith worked hard in the half forward line. Darren O’Malley produced two outstanding saves in one on one moments.

Heading into the break it was the Ulster men that went in leading 0-12 to 0-08. While Roscommon grew as the first half went on the second half seen only one winner as Monaghan piled on the pressure especially in the third quarter.

Jack McCarron got the first of Monaghans goals with a scrappy finish with the second coming from Eoin Duffy which gave the home side a comfortable lead. With ten minutes to go Malachy O’Rourke made a number of changes with experienced players coming on.

Tadgh O’Rourke got a late goal and Enda Smith followed up with a point to put some respectability on the score board for Kevin McStays men.

Roscommon battle hard but were out fought by a side who now look really comfortable in the surroundings of division one.

A spot in the final two is now in Monaghan’s hands with two games remaining and two big games with an away trip to Donegal next followed by a final day meeting against All Ireland champions Dublin

Manager Malachy O’Rourke spoke to Alan Gunn after the game