The polling date of the general election means thousands of people who registered to vote in the last year will need to apply to the supplementary register if they want to have their say in the election.
It’s been confirmed the current draft register won’t be activated in time for February 8th, something Michael Martin says should have been anticipated.
Those wishing to vote will need to lodge the correct form with their local authority by next Wednesday.
Speaking on The Joe Finnegan Show, the Fianna Fail leader said the “first priority should be to facilitate those thousands of voters” who won’t be able to vote.
Fianna Fáil TD Sean Fleming called for the government to remedy the issue by passing legislation to bring forward the date the register is updated.
However, this is not possible as the Dáil has been dissolved in the run-up to the next general election.
Michael Martin says the legislation should have been a “number one priority”: