SSE Renewables, has presented over €121,000 to community groups close to its Bindoo and Gartnaneane Wind Farms in Co. Cavan, and Mullananalt Wind Farm in Co. Monaghan.
Through its Community Fund programme, SSE Renewables makes annual contributions to community groups in the vicinity of its wind farms.
The company has been awarding funding to local projects in Cavan and Monaghan since 2006, and this latest presentation takes its overall contribution in the counties to over €1.9 million.
A total of 56 community groups will benefit from the €121,000 fund, including schools, sports clubs and community centres.
Speaking to Northern Sound, Anne Reynolds from SSE Airtricity, said the funding will benefit local groups in a variety of ways:
Doohamlet Community Centre, Co. Monaghan, put this year’s contribution towards replacement of cumbersome chairs and tables for the hall.
Chairperson, John Doran, said: “Doohamlet Centre re-opened after major redevelopment in March 2020 and after being severely impacted by ongoing Covid 19 restrictions we were finally able to full open to the community in March 2022. SSE Renewables funding this year will enable us to replace cumbersome chairs and tables with lightweight plastic tables and chairs. This new furniture will eliminate manual handling risks for our volunteers”
Other projects being supported by the community fund include:
- Installing energy efficient lighting at Kill Shamrocks GAA, Killygarry GFC, Drumgoon Gaelic Football Club, Carrickallen Community Group, Shercock Sport & Recreational Facilities, Scoil Eanna, Doohamlet O’ Neill’s GFC, All Saints Church Renovation Fund, Latton O’Rahilly GAA, Crosskeys National school, Clontribret O’Neill GAA and Corcaghan National School.
- Contribution towards a walking track at Aughnamullan Sarsfield GAA.
- Solar panel for Clones Town FC, St. Mark’s Church Kill, Drumgoon Co-operative Community Centre and Corcaghan Community Playgroup.
- Biodiversity and tree planting projects for Tullyvin Tidy Towns, Drumgoon Hill Old Graveyard, Laragh Sports Partnership, Fingers & Toes Childcare Ltd.
- Installing wheelchair access to Bailieborough Swimming and Leisure Centre CLG.
- Installing defibrillators at Darley National School and Knockbride Parish Shercock.
- Funding to Cootehill Branch Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann to run their Gerry Whelan Irish Traditional Weekend.