News

Department of Justice says no plans to open more Direct Provision centres in Cavan or Monaghan

Aug 5, 2020 07:08 By News Northern Sound
Department of Justice says no plans to open more Direct Provision centres in Cavan or Monaghan Department of Justice says no plans to open more Direct Provision centres in Cavan or Monaghan
The entrance to the St Patrick's Accommodation Centre outside Monaghan town.
Share this article

The Department of Justice says it has no plans to open more Direct Provision centres in Cavan or Monaghan. The clarification comes after it had

The Department of Justice says it has no plans to open more Direct Provision centres in Cavan or Monaghan.

The clarification comes after it had been reported locally that two properties in County Monaghan were being prepared for the arrival of asylum seekers.

Last week, Independent Councillor in Monaghan Paudge Connolly accused the Department of Justice of introducing centres across the country without prior notice or public consultation.

Advertisement

Two vacant buildings in the town of Ballybay were reportedly being renovated to be used as emergency accommodation.

In a statement to Northern Sound News, a Department spokesperson said "there are no plans to open further centres in Cavan/Monaghan" and it has "no knowledge" of works being carried out in Ballybay.

It said St Patrick's in Monaghan town is the only dedicated Direct Provision Centre in the region.

Advertisement

Six hotels and guest-houses meanwhile are currently being used as emergency accommodation centres - however their specific locations are withheld by the Department of Justice to protect the identity of their residents.

Share this article
Advertisement
Advertisement

NorthernSound Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.