News

Tánaiste to be briefed on dispute between Aldi and Monaghan County Council

Oct 29, 2021 16:10 By News Northern Sound
Tánaiste to be briefed on dispute between Aldi and Monaghan County Council Tánaiste to be briefed on dispute between Aldi and Monaghan County Council
Share this article

Last month, Aldi said it wouldn't proceed with plans for the store after "unsuccessful negotiations" with the local authority on flood relief works.

The Tánaiste is to get a briefing on the dispute between Aldi and Monaghan County Council.

In September, the German retailer halted plans for a store in Monaghan town after talks with the local authority on flood mitigation works stalled.

Aldi originally applied to build a store in 2016, and in 2019, after an updated application and an An Bord Pleanala appeal, it was granted full permission.

Advertisement

Included in the conditions was that it reroute a storm culvert, which Monaghan County Council says it provided assistance with the design of.

Last month, Aldi announced that due to "unsuccessful negotiations" with the local authority on flood relief works, it wouldn't be proceeding with plans for the store.

It's understood the issue related to who would be responsible for culvert works outside of the Aldi site boundary.

Advertisement

Minister Heather Humphreys told Shannonside Northern Sound that she hopes a solution can be found.

Speaking at the opening of the Ballybay Food Hub, Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise Leo Varadkar says he'll see if it's something the government can assist with.

Advertisement

Yesterday it was confirmed by Monaghan County Council that it received a one year extension to use funding ring-fenced for solving flood issues close to McNally's Carpark.

Share this article
Advertisement
Advertisement

NorthernSound Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.