This week’s Cookery Corner Recipe is fishcakes compliments of Chef Sham Hanifa of The Cottage Restaurant, Jamestown, Carrick on Shannon. Chef Sham talked us through how to create it.
Also you can listen back below for the piece in full and to pick up all of Chef Sham’s helpful hints and tips here:
This recipes is about using left overs fish & potato from Sunday lunch.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 400gm cooked fish( Hake, salmon, crabmeat,smoked fish)
- 400gm Potato, cooked and mashed( or left overs mashed potato & vegetables)
- Handful chopped chives
- 1 lemon
- 2 medium eggs
- 200ml milk
- Handful flour for dusting
- 100gm Panko breadcrumbs or pin head( or homemade breadcrumbs)
- Pinch of salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the flaked fish, potatoes, chives, salt and pepper and 1 beaten egg in a bowl , squeeze lemon juice and mix gently with a fork.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Roll into a ‘snake’ like shape on a floured surface
- Cut into 8 portions and shape each into a flat round shape
- Beat the second egg, add milk dip the cakes in this then coat in breadcrumbs
- Deep fried the fish cakes on a medium heat until golden brown on each side.
- Put in oven at 180c for 10 min.
- Ready to serve with salsa/ chutney & mixed leaves.