Inter-county Gaelic football and hurling will return from the weekend of May 16th as the GAA announce their 2021 fixture list.
The All-Ireland football and hurling championships will once again be straight knock-out with the Allianz league to begin first.
In a detailed statement, the GAA have announced that the 2021 fixture list will be upheld with the original programme set for 27 weeks to be moved to 20 weeks.
There will be no Tailteann cup in 2021, London and New York have both been excluded from the football championship.
Preparation window and games provisions:
- Return to collective Senior inter county training on April 19th
No return dates as of yet for collective inter county minor or U20 training – current exemptions only relate to Senior level.
- Below provisions guarantee a minimum of 5 games for each Senior County Football and Hurling team (all bar 3 counties guaranteed 6 games in Hurling)
- Objective – balance
Ensuring sufficient games at inter-county
League v Championship
Club window (2020 and 2021)
Inter county completed by end of August
- Original Programme announced in December – 27 weeks; new programme is 20 weeks
- Run from May 15th/16th to potential League finals weekend on June 19th/20th.
- Divisions will be split into North and South as planned in December.
4 teams in each group – based on geography.
3 Round Robin games per team.
Top two in each Divisional group to league semis, followed by league final*.
Bottom two in each Divisional group to Relegation semis – losers (2) relegated.
Bottom teams in Division 4 to Shield semi and final.
- Changes to what was originally announced:
London will not be participating.
*League finals will only be played (on June 19th/20th) if Counties involved are not playing in the Championship on the following weekend.
In that circumstance, Div 1 – joint winners; Div 2, 3, 4 – joint winners and promotion.
2021 Football Championships
- Provincial knock-out Championships
- No Qualifiers
- New York and London NOT involved
- No Tailteann Cup in 2021
2021 Club Window Provisions
- Important to note that we still do not have permission to return to club training or games yet (only training in pods of 15 allowed in the North)
- However, calendar is set up in such a way that:
Club competitions with county players can take place as County teams exit the Championships (in football, teams start exiting from the end of June; in Hurling July 10th) [RESTRICTIONS PERMITTING]
From August 1st, all Counties bar All Ireland Semi-Finalists in Football and Hurling, and the teams in the Div 1 Hurling Relegation play off, will be free to stage club competitions with county players. [RESTRICTIONS PERMITTING]
Additionally, the commencement of the Provincial Club Championships will be delayed until Mid-November.
Provinces have been requested to ensure Clubs from teams in the senior inter-county All Ireland Semi-finals and Finals will not be involved in the earliest round of the relevant Provincial Championship (where possible).
- Senior Provincial Club Championship will most likely start in or around the weekend of Nov 20/21 (dates to be finalized by each Provincial Council).
- All Ireland Senior Club Finals are provisionally scheduled for the weekend of February 12th/13th 2022.