'A pet is for life, not just for Christmas'
That's according to Tina Boyle from Cavan SPCA who has offered advice to people across the region on what to do if you are welcoming a new addition to your home this Christmas.
Speaking to Northern Sound, Tina said it is important for people to be mindful when purchasing a pet.
In relation to safety advice, Tina has advised current and future pet owners to be careful with electrical appliances such as Christmas Tree lights and mobile phone chargers.
According to Tina, this is one of the biggest causes of injury and even death, particularly during this time of year.
Treats, gifts and children's Christmas toys are also causes for concern due to choking risks.
Tina added that a lot of supervision is needed by keeping things that could be harmful out of the way: