News

Mannok companies take action against Sean Quinn for alleged trespassing

May 18, 2022 17:05 By News Northern Sound
Mannok companies take action against Sean Quinn for alleged trespassing Mannok companies take action against Sean Quinn for alleged trespassing
Share this article

The companies claim that on several occasions since late 2019, Mr Quinn has trespassed on their lands.

Two companies that were part of the former Quinn group have launched High Court proceedings against the group's founder, Sean Quinn.

The action has been brought by Mannok Cement and Mannok Build, which allege that Mr Quinn is trespassing on a quarry owned by the companies.

The two Mannok companies are seeking an injunction restraining Mr Quinn, who the firms say has no entitlement to be on Swanlinbar Quarry, from trespassing on the site.

Advertisement

The companies claim that on several occasions since late 2019, Mr Quinn has trespassed on their lands.

The most recent trespass, it is claimed, occurred on May 8 last, when he was seen driving on its lands, including at Swanlinbar Quarry.

The firms now want the High Court to grant them an injunction restraining Mr Quinn from trespassing on their lands.

Advertisement

In documents before the court, the firms say the lands are active industrial sites, where heavy machinery is being operated, and Mr Quinn's alleged presence amounts to a significant health and safety risk.

Mr Quinn has no right or interest in the lands, and has no defence to the claims against him, the firms allege.

The firms believe his actions amount to "a misguided form of aggression in the form of defiance" aimed toward the management of the companies.

Advertisement

The plaintiffs claim their lawyers wrote to Mr Quinn requesting that he cease trespassing on the lands.

The two companies are subsidiaries of Mannok Holdings DAC, which was formerly Quinn Industrial Holdings DAC/Quinn Group/Aventas Group and is now part of the Mannok group.

The firm's directors fear that unless restrained by the court, Mr Quinn will continue to allegedly trespass.

Advertisement

Mr Quinn, it is claimed, also allegedly trespassed on lands owned by the firms in the North.

Last year, Mr Quinn gave an undertaking before a Belfast Court not to trespass on lands at Doon in Co. Fermanagh.

In a sworn statement to the court, CEO of the two companies, Liam McCaffrey said he and his management team have allegedly been the subject of "a long and well-publicised campaign of intimidation, violence and serious threats".

Advertisement

One of the firm's directors, Kevin Lunney, was kidnapped and seriously assaulted.

Mr McCaffrey said while Mr Quinn has "repeatedly condemned the violence against the management team", the defendant had said in a newspaper interview in 2021 that he wanted the directors of Mannock removed and that he would do anything he could do in his power "to get those boys out".

On Wednesday, the two firms, represented in court by Andrew Fitzpatrick SC, secured permission from Ms Justice Siobhan Stack to serve short notice of the injunction proceedings on Mr Quinn at his home address at Ballyconnell.

The court made its order on an ex-parte basis, where only one side was represented in court.

Share this article
Advertisement
Advertisement

NorthernSound Newsletter

Sign up now to keep up to date with the latest news.

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now! please check your email to confirm your subscription.